Rules on Student Status Management inCTGU(Revised)
Rules on Student Status Management for International undergraduates of CTGU(Revised)
Regulations on Student Status Management for International Undergraduates of China Three Gorges University (Revised)
Chapter One General Principles
Item 1 In order to maintain the teaching order for International undergraduates, and assure the quality of fostering the talents, we especially carry out the specific regulations according to EDUCATION LAW OF PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA, HIGHER EDUCATION LAW OF PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA, REGULATIONS OF THE MANAGEMENT OF ACCEPTING FOREIGN STUDENT OF HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTES and REGULATIONS ON UNDERGRADUATE STATUS MANAGEMENT OF CHINA THREE GORGES UNIVERSITY (No. 23  of CTGU). According to the above, this regulation is especially made with the combination of the daily managements in International students.
Item 2 These rules are applied to the foreign undergraduate students and general visiting students who are formally admitted to our university.
Chapter Two Entrance and Registration
Item 3 The new student should present Admission Approval Letter, signed by China Three Gorges University, his/her passport, X or F Visa, Application Form for Study in China (JW201 or JW202) and Physical Examination Document (original copy); Thereafter the student should register at the College of International Communication on time.
Item 4 If the new student cannot register on time because of unexpected incidence, the student should explain the reason and do the leave procedure. If the student does not register within one month, except for irresistible reasons (such as earthquake, typhoon, flood and so on), his/her admission will be cancelled.
Item 5 The new student should present the physical examination document (original one) and the lab test results to the relevant bureau. If without relative original physical examination materials, he/she shall redo the physical examination at the designated bureau. The qualified student can proceed to acquire the foreigner residence permit. The admission of those who are unqualified or are unqualified in examination will be cancelled.
Item 6 When the self-supporting student registers, the student should pay the tuition and the accommodation fee within two weeks after registered for whose schooling length is just one or more than one semester. Students shall be registered and enrolled only after having paid all the tuition fees. Otherwise, the student will be automatically assumed as a voluntary withdrawal.
Item 7 The new student should present to Yichang Public Bureau his/her health authentication, passport, admission approval letter, JW201 (or JW202) and handling charge to process the Foreign Residence Permit within 30 days after arriving in China. All the responsibilities caused by the above shall be taken by the student him/herself. The student from other college in China should present passport, Foreigner Residence Permit, school records from the other college, transfer authentication and admission approval letter of China Three Gorges University to Yichang Public Bureau to process the Foreign Residence Permit within 10 days after arriving in Yichang.
Item 8 The student should present the student card to register at the College at the beginning of each semester. If the student is unable to register in time, the student should fulfill the leave of absence procedure.
Item 9 The student, who is suspended or holds the student status or leaves with some reason, shouldn’t register without permission.
Item 10 The student who does not take a leave of absence or take a leave but overdue 10 days will be penalized as a truant. If its duration exceeds 2 weeks, the student will be automatically assumed as a voluntary withdrawal.
Item 11 If the student wants to choose other subjects, he/she should register in the first week at the College of International Communication. If there are not enough students to choose the course, the class will not open.
Chapter Three Study Discipline
Item 12 The student should follow the teaching plan, finish the teaching link of each discipline earnestly, and take part in specified school activities.
Item 13 The student should abide by the class discipline, study earnestly, do not arrive late, leave early or leave class without permission.
Item 14 The attendance is a part of evaluation of student academic performance, included into the usual assessment results. If the absence of class in one semester totaled up to over 30 percent of teaching hours, the school will cancel his or her test qualification, only can he or she take resit of this course.
Item 15 If the student is sick or on personal affairs, the student should submit a leave paper (for a sick leave, the student should submit the certificate by the doctor). The student should attend his/her class, even if the student meets his/her own countries festival day (s) during the term period.
Item 16 The procedure of leave, approval and resumption
(1) The foreign student can apply a leave directly at his/her college by filling up a leave application.
(2) Asking a leave for other business: A leave of one day should be approved by the teacher in charge of the class; A leave of not more than one week but not less than one day should be approved by the staff in charge of foreign students affairs in his/her college or department；A leave longer than one week should be approved by the head in charge of foreign student affairs at his/her college or department.
The student’s own college should seal and keep the leave application, submit the leave application to the College of International Communication for records.
If the student has to go back to his/her own country, the student should present his/her leave application to apply for a return visa and staying at the Department of International Relations.
The student should report back when coming back. If the student does not come back within the limited time as well as not inform the college, the student shall be treated as a truant.
Item 17 The student who is absent from school without permission shall be penalized as a truant. The student whose absences exceed at a given period in one semester will get corresponding punishment based on the relevant rules of school.
Chapter Four Course Test and Score
Item 18 The student should take the required tests and their scores shall be recorded in the student documents, which will be used as the basis of registration change and graduation.
Item 19 The course tests include classroom examinations and non-exam tests. The tests may be in the form of close-book or open-book. They may be in the written, oral or other form, the evaluation is made up of the final exam(or the end of course exam) and regular grades. The daily performance based on inspection results of each stage, according to the nature of curriculum, the proportion of regular grades accounted for the course grade are different, it takes about 30-50%. The daily performance includes labs, field works, extracurricular activities, class discussion, class quiz and class attendance.The test class generally has no official final examinations (or the end of course exam), the evaluation should be base on the student’s study attitude, absence, active performance in class, homework, quiz, test report, course work and practical operation. The evaluation of the test class should be completed before the suspension in each semester. The student cannot take the semester final examination of this course if he/she failed the regular grade.
Item 20 The evaluation of curriculum assessment adopt percentage system, five-grade system and two level system
Item 21 The student who goes through the postponement procedure, according to Item 25 of the Rules should mark “Postponement” while registering results. The student who is absence for no reason or take a leave without permission and not taking the exam or not handing over the examine papers will be regarded as absent. His/her result should be marked “Absent” and recorded as “0”.
Item 22 Regular grades are not included in the re-exam, 60 points and more or “Pass” will be marked as “60” or “Pass” instead of actual results; while below 60 points or “Fail” will record the specific points and mark “Re-exam”.
Item 23 The student who break out the rule or cheat in the exam will be punished according to Implementing Measures for Foreign Students Punishment of China Three Gorges University (trial version) (No.49 of CTGU).
Item 24 The college will release the curriculum examination results to students after evaluation. If students have some questions about the results after the announcement, they should file an application for checking the papers within a week in the new semester.
Chapter Five Postponement, Re-exam, Re-learn and Re-sit
Item 25 The student, who cannot sit in the final examination, should present the application for the postponement of the exam to the faculty (the sickness leave should be proved by university hospital or the appointed hospital), and the application can only take effect after being approved. Students should take the exam with the students who take part in the re-exam at the same time, with the same papers, and students will be graded as regular exam. If the student can not take re-exam, he/she will be regarded as giving up the postponement automatically and he/she must retake the class.
Item 26 The student who failed in the final exam can get another chance, If fails, he/she must re-study the course. The student who was identified as cheating or breaking the rules in the exam, he/she must re-study the course instead of taking the ordinary re-exam.
Item 27 Re-exam and Re-study should be charged according to the rules.
Item 28 Re-sit aims at the student who passes the exam, but is not satisfied with the result, he/she can take another exam after he/she applied and being approved. Re-sit will be held with the next grade at the same time and with the same papers.
Chapter Six School Transfer and Major Change
Item 29 Generally, foreign students cannot transfer to another school. If they have special reasons for transferring, they should submit a written application and then they will be regarded as dropping out.
Item 30 Registration procedures for foreign students into our school；
1. Submit the following materials to the Department of International Relations.
1) The school transfer certificate from the original school;
2) The transcript from the original school
3) Application form for overseas students studying in China Three Gorges University
4) Copy of the passport
5)Copy of the Health Certificate and Financial Certificate are needed if the students need to study here for more than six months
2. Relevant colleges should accept the students according to the situation of their courses and performances; enroll registered students in corresponding classes, and distribute student ID.
3. Report to Hubei educational and foreign administration department.
4. Pay the relevant fees in accordance with the expense standard of the major.
Item 31 International students are allowed to transfer their majors after they are enrolled in the university. International students who would like to transfer majors are expected to fill out the Approval Form for International Student’s Enrollment Status Shift and the forms are required to be approved by all the relevant leaders from the original college, the new college and Department of International Relations. After being enrolled into the study of the new major in the new college, the international student is supposed to be cultivated by the curriculum of the new major and pay the tuition according to the tuition standard of his or her corresponding grade. After going through the formalities of major changing procedures under the rules, the student’s academic performance and the course credits of original major will be recognized if they go with the teaching plan of transferring major.
Item 32 The foreign students who have any of the following circumstances will not be allowed to transfer major:
1) New students who are in the school less than one semester;
After going through the formalities of major changing procedures under the rules, the student’s academic performance and the course credits of original major will be recognized if they go with the teaching plan of transferring major.
2) Junior students or above;
3) The student who should be dropped out or expelled
4) Without justifiable reasons.
Chapter Seven Suspension of Schooling and Resume Study
Item 33 The students who have any of the following circumstances may be allowed for suspension of schooling:
1) Necessity of a medical treatment in the absence of classes (more than one third of the term) requested by an authorized hospital.
2) Personal affairs which require the absence of classes (one third of the term).
3) Some other reasons which are permitted by the university.
Item 34 From the day of completing the formalities, the period for suspension of schooling is one year (if permitted by the university, the student may have two continuous years of sick absence), if it exceeds one year and needs to prolong the time, the student should re-register before the ending of absence semester, or he/she will be disposed according to the No 4 rule of Item 43. The period of suspension of schooling cannot be over two schooling years.
Item 35 Related issues of deferred students will be disposed according to the following rules:
1) The deferred students should fill in the Application Form of Transfer Information of Foreign Students of China Three Gorges University; for the students who need leaves of absence due to illness should also provide diagnosis certificate; and for those who need leaves of absence for other reasons should also get endorsement from guardian, college signed opinions and approval agreement from the Department of International Relations.
2) Once a student obtains the approval of a leave of absence, they should return to his/her own country as soon as possible.
3) The students cannot get any student welfare during their period of leave.
4) The students cannot go back to school to attend classes or take exams.
Item 36 The students deferred must go through procedures after the approval within 10 workdays. The relevant department shall distribute the certification and the students should leave school on time.
Item 37 Returning to school will be disposed under the following rules:
1) When suspension is expired, the students should file a petition of reentry according to the schedule time, when it is agreed upon by the college and permitted by the Department of International Relations, they can follow the return procedure. The students who leave for being sick should submit the health authentication to apply for reentry.
2) The reentry students should be incorporated into the original major under the next grade, and pay the relevant fees according to the reentry grade standard.
Chapter Eight Period of Schooling, Repetition and Withdrawal
Item 38 The school learning period is determined by the talent training plans of different majors, the standard of undergraduate school-length is 4 to 6 years. While at school students can shorten or extend the period of schooling according to their ability and learning conditions. The longest length of schooling of undergraduate (including repetition, suspending etc. shall not exceed 8 years (no more than 10 years of clinical medicine).
Item 39 The student, who is subject to one of the following cases, can apply for an extended length of study:
1) The student who has not fully obtained the required credits and not qualified for suspension of schooling.
2) The student who has not passed his/her thesis or finished the graduation practice.
3) The student who has applied for the second major or double degrees, but hasn’t finished the requirements of teaching plans .
Item 40 The student who wants to apply for an extension of school term should fill the form—“approval form for CTGU students to extend the terms of study”, and then carry out with the approval of the relevant college and the Department of International Relations. The students should apply for it each term, and the applications will be dealt before May 10th every year.
Item 41 Those who have applied for an extension of school term (excluding suspension of schooling), should pay the educational compensation.
Item 42 The student who is subject to any of the followings should repeat the year:
1) In each school year, if the accumulated number of failed courses amounts to 30% of the total courses which include all the courses in previous terms after the make-up examinations, or after finishing the basic parts (in the previous two years) of the courses, the failed courses amounts to 25% of the total courses which are required in the talent training plan for all the schooling years, the students will be given an academic warning, and have to go through formalities of repeating the grade. The demotion procedures will be made and carried out in every September after the publishing of the make-up exams results.
2) The students apply for repeating the schooling year willingly.
Item 43 The students who have any of the followings should leave school:
1) Reach the standards of repeating the school year twice in a same grade, or reach the standards three times in total;
2) The study period(including studying at home or abroad) has exceeded the longest length of study (including retardation, suspension, extended learning time, etc.);
3) Students who are diagnosed by designated hospitals as serious diseases like mental illness, epilepsy, leprosy, venereal disease and AIDS or accidental dismemberment, and cannot continue to study in the school;
4) the student who has not processed a return to school when his/her leave of absence expires or his/her health check is not passed;
5) The student who has exceeded the school registration deadline without reasonable reasons.
6) The student who has not participated in the prescribed teaching activities for consecutive two weeks without asking for a leave;
7) The student who applied for withdrawal；
8) Ordinary students asking for a leave, and the cumulative time being up to more than one month in one semester;
9) Undergraduate students asking for a leave ( the cumulative time being up to more than one third of the term) and not applying for a leave of absence;
10) Other reasons for unable to keep the normal learning.
Dropping out of the school according to above regulations will not be regarded as a punishment.
Item 44 Applications for leaving school should be signed by college, approved by the Department of International Relations, and reported to the university, and then the relevant documents will be issued.
Item 45 The related issues of dropping out will be disposed under the following rules:
1) The school shall provide a written decision and send to the student, as well as present it to the Hubei Educational Department, Public Security Organs and dropouts country embassy in China for record; the written decision which cannot be delivered will take effect after the announcement by the university.
2) Students who applying for leaving school for being sick or disabled will be taking back by their guardian.
3) Students who applying for leaving school should complete the leaving procedures within 10 workdays after receiving the admission.
Chapter Nine Graduation, Completion and Incompletion of Schooling
Item 46 Enrolled students are granted the graduation certificate upon the completion of stipulated credit courses which are required in the Individual Development Programs during the allowed study period. Degree Certificate will be granted to qualified students by the university.
Item 47 Students, if not exceeding the maximum length of schooling, should apply for a Study Period Extension upon the incompletion of stipulated credit courses which are required in the Individual Development Programs during the standard length of schooling. Students who fail to file an application will only be granted Completion of Schooling.
Item 48 Students who have completed the stipulated courses of Individual Development Programs but failed to meet the graduation requirements, if not exceeding the maximum length of schooling, could choose Completion of Schooling or Application for Study Period Extension. Students who choose Completion of Schooling will be granted the Completion Certificate instead of Graduation Certificate.
Item 49 Students who choose Application for Study Period Extension should follow the Individual Development Programs of the grade they are in and pay the according tuition fees.
Item 50 Students who must discontinue their schooling according to the Item 43 could ask for a Study Document provided by the university.
Item 51 The University will strictly fill and issue the academic certificate and diploma in accordance with certain school type and study form which are determined at the time of enrollment.
Item 52 The University follows electronic registration management system of higher education diploma, timely submitting the information of Graduation Certificate or Completion Certificate to relevant departments and finishing the electronic registration according to the requirements of the Ministry of Education of China.
Item 53 Students who violate the regulations of national enrollment will not be granted Academic Certificate and Degree Certificate; any already granted Academic Certificate and Degree Certificate will be claimed back by the university and nullified by the upper administration.
Item 54 If Graduation Certificate, Completion Certificate and Incompletion Certificate and Degree Certificate are missing or damaged as the holders apply, Supporting Documents with equal effect will be issued upon the verification of Department of International Relations.
Chapter Ten Teaching Management and Study of Chinese Language
Item 55 Chinese Language and Background of China are required courses to international students who receive degree education; Political Theories is a required course to international students who major in Philosophy, Politics and Economics, but other students could apply to be excused from it.
Item 56 Chinese Language is the common teaching language for international students. Students who cannot meet the language requirements will be provided with necessary Chinese Language training courses.
Item 57 International students are provided with professional courses which are taught in English Language and other foreign languages. International students who take courses taught in foreign languages should write a Chinese Language abstract of their graduation theses.
Item 58 International students who take courses taught in English Language and other foreign languages should reach Level 3 of the previous Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (previous HSK-3) or Level 4 of the new Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (new HSK-4) for graduation.
Item 59 International students who take courses taught in Chinese Language should reach Level 6 of the new Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (new HSK-6) or Level 5 of the new Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (new HSK-5) as well as its required level of interview for the permission to professional study.
Item 60 International students who major in Clinical Medicine should reach Level 3 of the previous Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (previous HSK-3) or Level 4 of the new Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (new HSK-4) for the permission to professional study of clinical practice; students of current year who fail to meet the requirements above should retake the course of Chinese Language to reach a relevant level of Chinese Language for the permission to professional study of clinical practice.
Item 61 International students majoring in Clinical Medicine who will start their internship in the People’s Republic of China should reach Level 6 of the previous Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (previous HSK-6) or Level 5 of the new Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (new HSK-4) for the permission to clinical internship.
Chapter Eleven Supplementary
Item 62 What has not been mentioned above should follow the actual situations and relevant regulations of the university.
Item 63 The regulations take effect at the issuing date and the Department of International Relations is responsible for any explanation. Supplement Rules to Foreign Students Academic Management Implementation ( No.9) will be abolished.