Measures for Handling Violation of Examination Regulations of International Students in CTGU (Revised)
Chapter One General Principles
Article 1 In order to maintain the teaching order of the university, cultivate the student’s honesty awareness and create a good education environment, in view of the reality of our university, this regulation is formulated in accordance with the Regulations on Students Management for International Students of General Higher Education issued by Ministry of Education, Measures for Handling Violation of Examination Regulations of Undergraduate Students in CTGU and other relevant documents.
Article 2 The Measures is applied to the international undergraduate students, postgraduate students and other non-degree students who are formally admitted to our university.
Article 3 The Measures is applied to all kinds of examinations (including test, evaluation, proficiency test, entrance examination, HSK test, etc.)
Chapter Two Types of Punishment for Violation of Examination Regulations
Article 4 Disciplinary violation is divided into two categories: Violating Discipline and Cheating. The student who violates examination regulations shall be punished according to the nature and severity of the violation, and the types of disciplinary punishments are:
(1) First Level Warning;
(2) Second Level Warning;
(3) Third Level Warning;
(4) Academic Probation;
Article 5 The period of punishment:
(1) First Level Warning: 6 Months;
(2) Second Level Warning: 8 Months;
(3) Third Level Warning: 10 Months;
(4) Academic Probation: 12 Months;
The deadline for the punishment of fresh graduates shall not exceed the date of graduation.
Article 6 If a student is subjected to a new punishment during the period of punishment, the total period of punishment shall be the sum of the remaining period of the unfinished punishment and the period of the new punishment. The maximum period of punishment shall not exceed 24 months.
Article 7 Under any of the following circumstances, the student may be given a lighter or mitigated punishment or be exempted from punishment:
(1) Voluntarily admitting their mistakes and the wrong acts, provide a sincere self-criticism, and show acts of repentance.
(2) Being really be coerced or decoyed by others, exposing the wrong behavior voluntarily and admitting their mistakes;
(3) Having meritorious performance;
(4) Voluntarily stopping disciplinary violations;
(5) Others based on the circumstances and consequences of the violation.
Article 8 Under any of the following circumstances, the student may be given a heavier punishment:
(1) Failing to voluntarily admit the violation of law or discipline, and have a bad attitude.
(2) Interfering with investigators by collusion, perjury, or falsifying, destroying and concealing evidence, etc.;
(3) Threatening or retaliating against informant and witnesses;
(4) Repeating violation or have been punished twice or more.
(5) Organizing, coercing or abetting others to violate the regulations;
(6) Violating the regulations through colluding with non-CTGU parties;
(7) Violating laws or regulations during the period of punishment.
Chapter Three Act of Disciplinary Violation and Its Punishment
Article 9 Under any of the following circumstances, the student shall be regarded as Violating Discipline. His/her exam result shall be cancelled and marked as 0, and marked as 0, and the student shall be given the punishment of First Level Warning. If the circumstance is serious, the student shall be given a Second Level Warning:
(1) Carrying articles not allowed (e.g. books, dictionaries, electronic devices, mobile phones, etc.) into the examination room and not placing the articles in the designated place;
(2) Failing to follow the invigilator's arrangement or sit in the designated seat after entering the examination room;
(3) Borrowing or lending stationery without invigilators’ permission;
(4) Answering questions before the invigilator announces the start of the test;
(5) Continuing to answer questions or failing to hand in the examination papers in time or according to regulations after the invigilator announces the end of the test.
Article 10 Under any of the following circumstances, the student shall be regarded as Violating Discipline. His/her exam result shall be cancelled and marked as 0, and the student shall be given the punishment of Second Level Warning. If the circumstance is serious, the student shall be given a Third Level Warning:
(1) Putting books, notebooks, review materials or private answer sheets, scratch papers, etc. on, inside or around the desks or seats without permission;
(2) Insisting on entering the examination room to take the examination without the campus card;
(3) Leaving the examination room without invigilators’ permission;
(4) Taking the exam papers, answer sheets and scratch papers out of the examination room;
(5) Not writing one’s names, test numbers or other information in the designated area or providing illegal information on the answer sheet through other means;
(6) Creating loud noise inside or outside of the examination room, failing to follow the management of the invigilators, or having other behaviors that disturb the orders in examination room.
(7) Having other serious violations of the examination regulations but not yet reaching the level of cheating.
Article 11 Under any of the following circumstances, the student shall be regarded as Cheating. His/her exam result shall be cancelled and marked as 0, and the student shall be given the punishment of Third Level Warning. If the circumstance is serious, the student will be given an Academic Probation. The student has to restudy the course without a chance for re-exam.
(1) Carrying textual materials related to the content of the test or carrying and using electronic equipment (including mobile phones) and articles which stores and records materials related to the content of the test during the examination;
(2) Writing contents related to course on the desks, hands and other places.
(3) Peeping other’s answers or providing assistance for others to peep, whispering, or sending secret signals or signs.
(4)Plagiarizing or assisting others to copy the answers of the questions or materials related to the examination content;
(5) Passing or receiving examination paper, answer paper or scratch paper during the examination;
(6) Cheating by borrowing stationery (including instruments such as calculators);
(7) Using mobile phones and other communication equipment during the examination.
(8) Violating discipline again during the period a punishment below Third Level Warning.
Article 12 Under any of the following circumstances, the student shall be regarded as Cheating. His/her exam result shall be cancelled and marked as 0, and the student shall be given the punishment of Academic Probation. If the circumstance is serious, the student will be given the punishment of Expulsion. The student has to restudy the course without a chance for re-exam.
(1) Deliberately destroying the examination paper and answer paper;
(2) Robbing or stealing other’s examination paper, answer paper or force others to assist in plagiarizing;
(3) Using electronic devices to search the content related to the test paper on the internet;
(4) Using mobile phones and other communications equipment to transfer or receive test content;
(5) Forging credentials, certificates and other materials to obtain test qualification and test score;
(6) Using improper ways to change the answer or test score.
(7) Being subject to the punishment of Third Level Warning or below during the punishment period of a Third Level Warning.
Article 13 Under any of the following circumstances, the student shall be regarded as Cheating. His/her exam result shall be cancelled and marked as 0, and the student shall be given the punishment of Expulsion.
(1) Asking others to take his/her own test or taking test for others (including asking non-CTGU student to take the test or taking test or non-CTGU students). If a student is absent from the test but a test paper with his/her name is found during or after the test, the student will be regarded as asking others to take the test.
(2) Filling in the name, test number or other information that are not in accordance with his/her identity (regarded as taking test for others).
(4) Stealing examination paper;
(5) Selling test questions or answers for profit.
(6) Violating discipline and being regarded as cheating again during the period of a punishment of Academic Probation.
Article 14 Under any of the following circumstances, the student shall at least be given the punishment of Academic Probation depending on the seriousness and the student’s repentant attitude His/her exam result shall be cancelled and marked as 0. If he/she violates the Law of People’s Republic of China on Public Security Administration and Penalties, the student will be handled by the Security Department of the university jointly with the public security organization.
(1) Disturbing the order in the examination room or examination work place;
(2) Refusing or obstructing examination staff to perform management duties.
(3) Threatening, insulting, slandering, or framing against the examination staff or other students;
(4) Other behaviors disturbing the administration order of the examination area.
Article 15 Students with other behavior which is regarded as Violation of Examination Regulations shall be subject to disciplinary punishment referring to the above regulations. Student with behavior which constitutes a crime shall be investigated for criminal liability according to law by concerned state authorities.
Chapter Four Procedures of Punishment
Article 16 Procedures for handling examination discipline violators:
(1) If a student is found violating examination regulations during the examination, the examination staff shall stop him/her and terminate the student’s examination in time, and record in detail the specific conditions of the student's test violations in the Record Form of Examination, and ask the violator to sign and confirm. If the violator refuses to sign, the invigilator shall make a note in the Record Form of Examination. The materials and tools used for cheating shall be temporarily withheld. As a basis for identifying the facts of the student’s test violation, the Record Form of Examination shall be signed and confirmed by two or more invigilators or the inspector. After the examination, the invigilator or inspector shall submit the relevant materials to the Teaching Office of the college which is organizing the examination.
(2) The college organizing the examination should arrange at least two staff to investigate, collect and keep relevant evidence, and identify the student’s disciplinary violation in accordance with the facts and evidence and then submit the relevant materials to the Teaching Office of the college in which the violator is studying.
(3) The college in which the violator is studying shall require the violator to write a self-criticism, fill in the CTGU Form for Handling Examination Disciplinary Violation, inform the student the proposed punishment, and listen to the statement and explanation of the student or his/her agent (the agent shall present the student’s authorization letter) and make a detailed record, and ask the student or his/her agent to sign on the record. If the student refuses to accept treatment within the specified time, the college shall fill in CTGU Form for Handling Examination Disciplinary Violation and indicate the student’s refusal in the form. The college shall put forward the identification of disciplinary violation and decision on the punishment in the form after discussion.
(4) If the student is given the punishment of First Level Warning, Second Level Warning, Third Level Warning or Academic Probation, the college in which the student is studying is responsible for issuing the punishment decision and submitting it to the Department of International Relations for record.
(5) If the student is given the punishment of Expulsion, the college in which the student is studying is responsible for submitting CTGU Form for Handling Examination Disciplinary Violation, relevant evidence, the student’s written self-criticism, and the statement and explanation materials of the student or his/her agent to the Department of International Relations. The punishment decision shall be prepared by the Department of International Relations, counter-signed by relevant college, and issued by the university president for international affairs.
Article 17 A notice and formal document of punishment decision shall be issued for the punishment of the student. The punishment decision shall include the following content:
(1) The basic information of the student;
(2) The facts and evidences of the punishment;
(3) The category, basis and period of the punishment;
(4) The approach and period of appealing.
Article 18 For student who is given the punishment of Academic Probation, the college in which the student is studying is responsible for observing. If the student shows significant progress during the probation period, the punishment shall be terminated on time based on his/her own application, discussion of his/her class and approval of the college; if the student has any meritorious performance, the punishment shall be terminated in advance. The college in which the student is studying is responsible for submitting the decision of punishment termination to the Department of International Relations for record. If the student has new disciplinary violation which shall be given punishment during the probation period, the punishment of Expulsion shall be given based on the preliminary opinion from the college, evaluation by the Department of International Relations, and approval of the university president for international affairs.
The termination of academic probation does not mean to cancel or revoke the punishment, but to terminate the probation.
Article 19 The notice and formal document of punishment decision shall be served to the student by the college staff. The punishment decision shall take effect from the date of service.
If the student refuses to sign to acknowledge the receipt of the notice or formal document of punishment, the college staff shall invite the class monitor of the violator to the scene as a witness and explain the situation to the class monitor, record the reason and the date of refusal on the receipt. The receipt shall be signed by the college staff and the witness. If the notice or formal document of punishment cannot be served to the student directly, it shall be delivered to the student in the form of an announcement on the campus bulletin board or website for 30 days, and the expiration date of the notice shall be regarded as the date of service.
The notice or formal document of punishment decision for Expulsion shall be sent to Hubei Provincial Department of Education, the Exit and Entry Administration Office of Yichang Municipal Public Security Bureau and the embassy of the student’s home country in China for record.
Article 20 If the student has any objection to the punishment decision, he/she shall submit a written appeal to the University Student Appeal-handling Committee based on facts within 5 working days after receiving the punishment decision. The appeal shall be handled in accordance with the Regulations on Handling Student Appeal of China Three Gorges University. If the student does not appeal within the appeal deadline from the date of receipt of the punishment decision, the University will no longer accept the appeal.
Article 21 For the student who has been given the punishment of Expulsion, the University will issue a certificate confirming his/her learning experience. The student shall complete the procedures for leaving school within 10 working days of receiving the punishment decision.
Chapter Five Supplementary Provisions
Article 22 The relevant colleges and Department of International Relations shall sort out and record the punishment decision, evidence, the student’s written self-criticism relevant investigation materials, the statement and explanation materials of the student or his/her agent, and the record of serving the punishment decision, etc..
Article 23 The Regulations shall come into force as of the date of its publication. The Department of International Relations is responsible for any explanation. The previous Measures for Treating Examination Discipline of International Students in CTGU (No. 49 〔2011〕, Foreign Affairs of CTGU) shall be annulled simultaneously.